Wednesday, October 19, 2011


Sunday began just like plenty of others. Well, the day began by tuning into the second RWC semi between the Kiwis & Wallabies, which hadn't happened before. So technically it wasn't the same as previous Sabbath dawnings...

Ben and I had exchanged a couple of texts, as is not uncommon, about the choice of Haka and 1 or 2 of the opening plays. When suddenly the subject matter changed with the announcement that Emz's 'waters had broken'. Claire Tamsyn was on the move. Ignition sequence had begun!

The kids were advised to head to the hospital around 4pm for a check up, and so there was no need to postpone heading down to the beach as planned that afternoon. There had been some small swell the day before but we had decided to stick to the original plan of leaving it until Sunday, as the forecast promised something more to play with.

On arrival it was clear there was and, what's more, the weather was a darn sight better than promised, with a little more of the 'Indian summer' we'd had a fortnight earlier. The swell was indeed bigger with plenty of whitewater on the inside; but it looked managable and so the log was given the nod.

The paddle out too was relatively straightforward, but it was clear that even at the current low water stage, there was plenty of 'lump' out there with plenty of water shifting about.

As a consequence, I found it very difficult to get in sync' with the conditions and had to ultimately settle for only a couple of half rides before getting nailed by a rogue set. Dramatically too, upon re-surfacing it quickly became clear that there had been a leash failure; thus my board was beachwards bound. Not that I could now see it!

There was nothing for it but begin the 300m swim for shore. not an easy task given the heavy swell, but nothing that gave cause for alarm.

More so, when I became aware that I had a seal for an escort! Guardian Angel? Who knows?
Back home and the latest from Ben was that they'd returned home as things seemed to have been a false alarm.

How wrong we were!

Things had taken a dramatic return by around 10pm and the pair of them were back at maternity for what transpired into being a marathon process that never concluded until just after 6pm on Monday!

Whether it was the threat of a 'c-section', forceps or the utilisation of my husbandry skills will never be known; but the bottom line was the safe arrival of our first grand child. And what an absolute sweety!

No comments:

Post a Comment