Sunday, July 31, 2011

New directions


This blog is about surfing old and new and wandering around the fab Cornish scenery around us.... yes, even round Camborne!

Woll surfs longboard and has started to surf bellyboard (on small days when it's not worth firing up the longboard) and I surf the wooden bellyboard, the basic type that has been around for about 100 years.

This is my first board, bought just over a year ago from Sally at Original Surfboards:


I loved riding this board so much (I only ever used my foam boogieboard once since then) I bought another, slightly different shape and weight, from Gavin at Traditional Surfing. This one I bought unvarnished so as to put my own mark on it.




Her name is Gladys and she's a bit of a goer!

That's me, anyway. I'm sure Woll will tell you a bit about himself at some point.

In the meantime, look what great little postcards I found:
 Judging by the cozzies, I'd say they were taken in the 1930's but the one which has a postmark is 1951. Maybe the photographer was using old shots for a long time.  I need to do some research. On the top Bude one, the Crooklets portion shows (with a magnifier) at least 16 people in the water with boards.

Check out the rocker on the chap in the middle's board in the Polzeath pic!

More soon.....

1 comment: